How do you replace a trunk lock?
Part 1 of 2: Removing the old trunk lock cylinder
- Materials Needed.
- Step 1: Pop the trunk and remove the trunk liner.
- Step 2: Remove any actuating rods.
- Step 3: Unbolt or unclip the lock cylinder.
- Step 4: Remove the trunk lock cylinder.
- Step 1: Install the new lock cylinder.
- Step 2: Reconnect the actuator rod(s).
How much does it cost to replace a trunk lock?
The Best in Auto Repair The average cost for trunk lock cylinder replacement is between $169 and $179. Labor costs are estimated between $41 and $52 while parts are priced at $128. This range does not include taxes and fees, and does not factor in your specific vehicle or unique location.
Can a trunk lock be fixed?
Anytime you place items in your trunk, you’ll want to know that they will be kept safe and secure. The trunk lock actuator makes sure this is a reality. This device typically is not repaired, as it’s more efficient for a certified mechanic to simply replace it with a new actuator.
What do you do if your trunk won’t open?
If you have access to your keys or your car is open, try unlocking the trunk again. Try turning your key to the lock and unlock position a few times. If the car is open, try unlocking the car from the driver’s side manual trunk unlock.
How do you remove a trunk lock?
How to Remove a Trunk Lock Cylinder
- Open the trunk and examine the covered area on the inside of the trunk opposite the keyhole.
- Detach the remote trunk-release cable.
- Remove the retaining clip, at the base of the lock cylinder, with the pliers.
How do you open a trunk without a key from the outside?
How to Open a Trunk Without Keys
- Slide the hook end of the slimjim between the the passenger side window and window trim at the bottom of the window near the door handle.
- Feel around with the slimjim for the lock rod.
- Pull up on the lock rod with the slimjim.
- Open the door and climb into the driver’s seat.
How do you get into a locked trunk?
In most cases, there’s a special button on the fob specifically for the trunk. Push that and the trunk will pop open. Use the car key in the trunk lock if you don’t have power locks. Nearly every car model has a lock mechanism on the trunk, so you can get into the trunk if the electronic key fob isn’t working.
Why is my automatic trunk not working?
It usually occurs if the module fails or if there is a loss of power. It can also occur if the batter is jumper improperly but most of the time you will have other issues also. If the battery was jumped correctly then I usually start by reprogramming the control module just to see if it will accept the programming.
Is there a trunk release button?
Press and hold the trunk release button on the remote transmitter. To close the trunk, press down on the trunk lid. As a safety feature, your vehicle has a release lever on the trunk latch so the trunk can be opened from the inside. To open the trunk, push the release lever to the left.
What is a trunk actuator?
The trunk lock actuator is the electric motor that can be remotely triggered via the fob device or is activated by pressing a button inside the vehicle. The trunk lock actuator then releases the trunk latch so the trunk can be opened. All of this is done without you having to insert a key into the lock cylinder.
How do you remove a trunk lock cylinder?
Tip: If you have the bolt-secured type of lock cylinder, you may need to use a socket wrench to loosen, and later tighten, this bolt. If you have the type of lock cylinder that is secured by a retaining clip, you will need to use gloves and needle nose pliers. Step 4: Remove the trunk lock cylinder.
How do you open the trunk on a Cadillac Seville?
Lift up on the locking tab of the emergency release handle. Slide the handle out of the “T” shaped slot in the trunk lid. Pry outward on the two locking tabs that secure the lock cylinder release cable to the lock cylinder– there is one on each side of the cable fixture — with a flat-head screwdriver. Slide the cable off the lock cylinder.
How can I repair my trunk release latch?
1. Open the rear compartment lid to access the latch on the inside. 2. Remove the fastener securing the cable to the latch (see Figure 1). 3. Inspect the tab on the backside of the cable for signs of breakage (see Figure 2).
How do you replace a retaining bolt on a trunk lock?
Replacing the retaining bolt is pretty straightforward; just hand tighten the bolt. If you have a retaining clip, you will likely need gloves and needle nose pliers to line it up and press it into position without cutting yourself or hurting a knuckle.