How do I relearn a crankshaft sensor?
- Turn off all of the accessories.
- Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle.
- Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6 minutes.
- Decelerate to 45 mph without using the brakes, and maintain 45 mph for 1 minute.
- Perform 4 deceleration cycles, without using the brakes, of 25 seconds each where no specific speed is necessary.
What is a case relearn on a GM?
A CASE relearn is a Crank Angle Sensor Error relearn, which realigns the position between the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor. This relationship helps the vehicle determine advanced misfires.
What kind of sensor do you need for distributorless ignition?
• Test the output signal from the crankshaft sensor. • Most computerized engines with distributorless ignitions use a crankshaft position sensor. • These sensors are either the Hall effect type or the magnetic type. • The sensors must be able to produce a variable (either sine or digital) signal.
Where is the pickup coil on an ignition system?
• The pickup coil, located under the distributor cap on many electronic ignition engines, can cause a no-spark condition if defective. • The pickup coil must generate an AC voltage pulse to the ignition module so that the module can pulse the ignition coil.
How to tell if your ignition coil is defective?
• The voltmeter should fluctuate or the test light should blink, indicating that the primary coil current is being turned on and off. • If there is no pulsing of the negative side of the coil, then the problem is a defective pickup, electronic control module, or wiring. 6 Ignition Coil Testing Using An Ohmmeter
When does the crankshaft position sensor need to be relearn?
The PCM needs to learn the variability of the Crankshaft Position Sensor to better detect misfire conditions. Whenever the PCM is replaced, the Crankshaft Position Sensor Relearn procedure needs to be completed. The Crankshaft Position Sensor Relearn procedure requires the use of a scan tool that has this feature equipped.
How does the crank signal work on an ignition coil?
The engine starts to crank, inducing the crankshaft position sensor to start producing its crank signal. The crank signal upon being received by the PCM along with other necessary sensor information, starts to do its little song and dance and sends back a Triggering Signal to each ignition coil.
How to do a crank Relearn on a computer?
To perform the relearn, proceed as follows: Connect a scanner to make sure there are no trouble codes stored in the computer’s memory. If there is any power train trouble code other than P1336 (Crankshaft Position Variation not learned), the computer will disable the relearn function until the problem that caused the code has been eliminated.
How to relearn the crankshaft variation relearned?
NOTE: If the Crankshaft Variation Relearn is not accessible through your scanner (some truck applications 1998 & later), perform the relearn in the following manner: 1. Turn off all of the accessories.