How do I read a diagnostic trouble code?
- How to read OBD codes: Preparation.
- Step 1: Plug the OBD scanner into the OBD port.
- Step 2: Turn on the ignition.
- Step 3: Enter the Vehicle Identification Number.
- Step 4: Find OBD codes in the menu.
- Step 5: Interpret the first character of the OBD code.
- Step 6: Interpret the second character of the OBD code.
How do you clear diagnostic trouble codes?
How to Clear OBD-II Codes
- Hook an OBD-II scanner to the car’s diagnostic port. This outlet is on the driver’s side, under the dash and usually near the steering wheel.
- Turn the scanner on.
- Turn the car on.
- Wait for the trouble code to appear on the scanner. Press the “Clear” button on the scanner to clear the code.
How do you reset the check engine light on a 2003 Acura TL?
- Turn the car off.
- Press and hold the select and reset buttons on the instrument panel, then turn the ignition switch ON (II)
- Hold the buttons for approx. ten seconds until the indicator resets.
What is a pending code?
Pending codes are caused by intermittent faults or faults that the PCM needs to see happen in two consecutive warm-up cycles to set the code. If the fault does not reappear within 40 warm-up cycles, the code will be cleared from memory.
How do you reset the engine light on a Acura TL?
with the key out of the ignition hold down the reset and that other button to the right of the steering column. turn the car on but keep holding the two buttons down , after about 25 secs it wll go off. the new acuras have something in the cpu that tells that light to come on every 7500 miles as a reminder for service.
Can a pending code go away?
The short answer is yes. Your vehicle can pass the smog check with a pending trouble code, so long as the check engine light is not illuminated and the required emission monitors are ready. A pending trouble code may set for diagnostic purposes and will not illuminate the check engine light.