Managers in all industries, the question often: How do I design a good governance relationship?
Purely economic standpoint, of the employees of a company is a production factor that should be like a machine as efficiently as possible.
The “human resource” human resources for the purpose of making a profit. Morally can be challenged, however, with Kant’s categorical imperative, him not only as a means but as an end in itself, and a Person with Dignity.
Fundamental to the leadership ethical perspective, the recognition of the employee is as a Person and an end in itself.
As the Supreme Norm of ethics can be considered, therefore, to respect the Dignity of the employee and to take his needs seriously. You want to be more specific, it is, on the human rights and fundamental rights and the principles of freedom, justice and good living conditions for all. In particular, the following standards for communication between supervisors and employees are prepared:
- Respectful dealings with each other, i.e., no bullying, insulting, personal disparagement or sexual harassment of the employee.
- No arbitrary and discriminatory treatment, Fairness and equal opportunity in hiring, pay and promotion of staff.
- The protection of privacy, for example. no covert Surveillance, data protection, acceptance of freedom of conscience.
- Grant humane conditions of work: protection of life and health, with sufficient breaks and holidays, adequate remuneration.
- Free exercise of legally granted rights of participation.
On the granting of fundamental rights, in addition to other requirements for an ethically made Lead-concerned. With Kant we could say that it is “meritorious duties” that serve the “transportation” of the employees. This “transport” can firstly be done by a certain style of leadership. He wears the following trains:
- Communication between consenting individuals instead of command and Subordination,
- Explain, instead of Dictating decisions
- open and honest Information,
- a partnership-based, consensus-oriented approach,
- Recognition of good performance,
- constructive criticism,
- Empathy and support.
Secondly, labour are shaping the content and conditions of “personality growth”. This principle correspond to
- meaningful, holistic tasks with a certain degree of diversity of Requirements,
- Room for manoeuvre,
- Opportunities for social interaction,
- Participation in work-related decisions such as. Personnel selection, organizational and personnel development, workplace and working time,
- Self-control and self-control,
- Opportunities for further development.
Personnel management ethics includes not only the leadership style of the supervisor within the given institutional framework, but has, in the staff regulations and rules of ethics.
The working conditions, remuneration systems, recruitment procedures, privacy arrangements, the organisational structure, planning and control systems, all of which may be short term as external preset invariable, but it was created, ultimately, by management decisions and, therefore, in principle, reformable.
To management ethics, the willingness of the managers, the existing regulatory framework to have to adjust again and again critically and not (ultimately self-made) constraints the views on the design options.
The Situation for many employees has deteriorated in terms of the criteria developed in the last few years rather than improved. Be lamenting the return of monotonous work (Re Taylor), increased performance pressure by Work intensification and “marketization” of the work, the “precarization” of labour by temporary employment, temporary employment and low-wage earners, an increasingly unequal wage spread between top earners and low earners, Monitoring and control, to the toilet, suppression of the rights of participation and bullying.
This post is an excerpt from the new book on corporate ethics.
How can be implemented the business ethics as a Management responsibility? A stronger orientation of the corporate guide on the guiding principle of a life-serving economy is more and more demanded. Elisabeth Gödel discusses the philosophical foundations of ethics and clarifies the relationship of ethics and Economics. The focus is on the institutionalisation of ethics is on the level of the individual company.